Friday, April 30, 2004

Mellow, Funk and Soul, part 3


Geez, I've almost forgot to do the last part of my 3-CD review. However, I was finding it hard to do Joss Stone's "The Soul Sessions" since I'm not really conversant with soul-- except for what I've heard from James Brown and the movie, the Committments.

It also took me two tries before I could really get into the album. (Nothing bad about that since I did the same with Norah Jones' sophomore effort.) However, it might deter other listeners.

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, despite Stone's good voice, I think her best selling point at this point is still her age. After all, it's not everyday you get to hear a sixteen year old sing soul that well. (Of course, when I first heard her voice, I kept thinking "A white girl is singing Motown?" Ah well...)

But this girl has talent, no doubting that. Once she grows up, I'm sure she'll do great wonders for the wide world of soul. Right now though? Nothing I'd get into at the moment.




No comments: