Thursday, May 20, 2004

Time... You Ain't No Friend of Mine


As I was driving to work, I was reminded of Alan Lightman's book, Einstein's Dreams




wherein Lightman characterizes the dreams and thoughts of the German-born genius as the latter was writing down his famous ideas on relativity.

This was because I was up most of last night researching into Jainism, Rabindranath Tagore and this little play of his, The Sacrifice so I felt the need for sleep coming into the office.

I'm sure you know the feeling: you feel like half the day has passed you by as you sit numb and struck dumb in heavy traffic. In actuality, only a few minutes has ticked by and you actually express surprise that you aren't late. Yet.

The other side of the coin is that feeling when you're in a rush to get things down, you blink, you move your head to side to side... and you find out that more than a couple of minutes have passed, minutes that you couldn't afford to waste.

Time does strange things to the brain. Or was that lack of sleep? I can't tell at the moment...


No comments: