Monday, June 14, 2004

Some Authors' Blog Ramblings...



1. John Shirley contemplates life without electricity-- specifically, without the Internet:

I read somewhere in a spirituality publication, "when the computer stops, the spine straightens." It's true. I wasn't hunched over a keyboard. I wasn't thinking about what dvd to watch. I was chilling as our ancestors had, of an evening.

He also goes out into the darkness, singing "Midnight Rambler," and freaks out his neighbors.

2. Neil Gaiman learns the wisdom of watching what he says:

I need to start listening while I'm talking. I was having an incredibly respectable telephone conversation with an extremely respectable person this afternoon, and the subject wandered over to Basque whalers, the way that it does, and I was explaining that whale meat was one of the few red meats that the Catholic church historically allowed to be eaten on Fridays and during Lent. "And, oddly enough, beaver was classified as a fish too," I explained earnestly and helpfully and accurately. "So on Fridays and during Lent people used to eat beaver." There was the sound over the phone of a very respectable and respected person making a sputtering sort of snorting noise, and I noticed that statement was capable of meaning rather more than I'd meant it to...

That Gaiman, he sure knows his stuff...


No comments: