Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Long Live the Emperor!

Fantasy Grandmaster Michael Moorcock explains why he won't write prose stories of his famous creation, Elric of Melnibone, anymore. (From Alien Online)

To quote:

I have no interest in merely adding new wrinkles to an existing genre. Everything we did on New Worlds was an attempt to find new narrative conventions in order to express individual vision. When almost everything you do gets taken up by others, it goes completely against the purpose of finding an individual narrative voice.

*Gasp* Does that mean there are no more original stories around? Seriously, this just means more and more authors are at least trying to be original with their work. Which is all to the good. Though at the cost of putting Elric to rest, I see.

Anyway, at least publishers will finally get a chance to create a final version of his Eternal Champion omnibuses. I have some of the Orion edition but I think I prefer the order cited by this guy (scroll down a bit).

One time, I was on an Elric spree-- originally, I was only interested in Moorcock's Eternal Champion and its variants (i.e. Elric, Hawkmoon, Corum and John Daker)-- and I picked up the aforementioned Orion books while in London several years ago. Fortuitiously enough, I also got a copy of White Wolf Press' Elric: Tales of the White Wolf, an anthology about Elric written by different authors.

Then a few months after my Europe trip, I had to stay in the hospital to accompany my grandmother who had been confined for one thing or another. I remember lying in the nearby empty bed, racing through all those Elric books until even my dreams at night were haunted by the albino emperor with crimson eyes and his mad, mad sword.

Ah, those were the days.

Wala lang.

No comments: