Thursday, January 27, 2005


What is this book doing here?

I was in Makati yesterday at a local bookstore when I happened to see this thing lying on the second-hand book table: a hardbound copy of The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective (revised and expanded) that was edited by Terry Dowling, et al.

Let me tell you: it was like the feeling of walking in the park one day and finding a brand-new laptop on a park bench. You look around to see if anyone owns the bloody thing and-- after ascertaining that no one did, nup, nuh-uh-- you grab the thing and run.

Of course I paid for the book before gunning the proverbial engine. At half-price too.

Though clocking in at 1,250 pages, it seemed heavier than your average laptop. This became more evident when, as I perused its pages last night, I came down with a strained left forearm from trying to read it using one hand to hold it up. The last time I suffered so was whenever I try to read the aforementioned Susannah Clarke opus.

Wala lang.

No comments: