Saturday, February 12, 2005

Moratorium

I think I have too many books.

I think I'm writing too much about books.

Well, I don't know about dealing with the last statement (hey, what will I write about if not that?) but at least I can do something about the first.

I thought about this after picking up a few books this past week. These books were ones that were hard-to-find, mind, so I was rather hesitant to let them go.

But still...

A couple of days ago, I picked up the oddly exquisite Dictionary of Khazars by Milorad Pavic, a book the New York Times called 'one of the best books of the year' in Aeon Bookshop in Katipunan. I got the 'male' version though there's supposedly a 'female' edition that differs slightly. Also, it was a bit pricey but... hey, it was really a good find.

*sigh*

Then today I picked up a book I ordered, James Morrow's Blameless in Abaddon about the trial of God, as well as second-hand copies of Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld saga To Your Scattered Bodies Go and The Fabulous Riverboat in Booktopia in Libis. (I also got Hotel Transylvania by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, the first book about the vampire Comte Saint-Germain, for [identity-protected] as a gift but that's different.)

So, you think I have too many books?

Right now, I'm guessing I have 500++ books I haven't read yet on my bookshelves and cabinets. And all of them I really want to read, dammit.

Anyway, because of this, I'm thinking of going on a book moratorium. Nothing fancy, nothing serious. Just a month-long (starting today) ban on getting more books. And if this works, if I'm able to hold off getting that one last-- ooooh! oooh! Jeffery Ford! Kelly Link! Robert E. Howard! Fritz Leiber!-- maybe I can extend the moratorium.

You know, a test case of will power. Me against the books.

Hopefully, by the time this is over, I've managed to make a dent on the books I have.

Hopefully.

Wala lang.

No comments: