Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Bugs in the System

It's weird but is there a virus infecting Nokia phones nowadays? I ask this question because of something I experienced last week.

Personally, I use a Panasonic EB-X66. It's a camera-phone, small and handy and on the whole, more than user-unfriendly (but maybe that's because I'm more proficient with a Nokia).

Anyway, I received a weird MMS message from the wife of one my friends last Wednesday. Upon opening it, I saw that-- rather than a picture message-- it had separated itself into two components: one an attachment I couldn't open and the other into a text that had the line that read "attachment * FREE SEX * text" or something like that.

Without much worry, I just deleted each component and shrugged off the whole thing. However, a day later, my friend's wife sent me a following text message:

Hi! In case u received/receive a mss msg frm me yest/within 2day, please DO NOT OPEN it! my friend caught a virus on her phone & it randomly sends d virus 2 directory. I unfortunately "opened" d msg & its going thru mine too! Am not sure who was sent by now. So sorry abt that. :(

Obviously, I was rather miffed about the whole thing and replied: "Too late about that."

Concerned, she apologized and replied that they were going to check with Globe (the local mobile telecom company) on how to remove the virus. That very same day, she texted back:

Hi! Hope ur fone didn't get d virus frm my fone. But it if did, I have some bad news, d only 2 remove it is 2 hav a software upgrade, semicon (a mobile phone company- ed) does it. Accdg 2 them, they hav lots of cases of this virus since lst week. So sorry again 4 hassle it is causing you!

Weird, ennit? Fortunately, a couple of days later when I talked to my friend and his wife, it seemed like the virus only affected Nokia mobile cell phones that had MMS capabilities-- something that wasn't possible with my Panasonic.

I've checked with google and this is the only thing that looks close: New virus hits mobile phones and First Symbian OS virus to replicate over MMS appears .

Does anyone else know anything?

No comments: