Thursday, December 08, 2005

More Books than You Can Shake a Stick at...

Ah, I can only dream.

Rob and Jay have come out with their list of books they're chomping at the bit to check out this coming year and I figured that I'd do my fair share. However, as I told Rob, I haven't even gotten my paws yet on some books for this year so why bother with next year, right? And then there are books that came out the year before...

Anyway, I was checking out the prior lists and there are a lot of convergence involved between the two recommendations. Aside from new works by Jeff Ford and Jeff Vandermeer, those that have me all hyped up like a cat on caffeine include:

(This also gives me a chance to have a post chock-full of book covers. Woowee!)

January 2006


Dusk by Tim Lebbon: I've always been a sucker for writers of different genres who're willing to cross boundaries so when I heard Lebbon, a noted horror writer, was doing something fantastical, my curiousity was hooked.

February 2006


The Burning Girl by Holly Phillips: I've heard so much about Phillips and her somewhat-literary collection of fantastic short stories such that I'm willing to try out her debut novel.


Crystal Rain by Tobias S. Buckell: Another debut novel and heavily-recommended by Rob and Jay (geez, that sounds like a Kevin Smith movie).

March 2006


A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham: I've heard mention of this book here and there and it seems like word-of-mouth is slowly growing. But who is Abraham and why are they talking about his first book?


Fain the Sorceror by Steve Aylett: What? Aylett is doing fantasy? After reading the weirdly wacky semi-SF Atom, this I have to read.


The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow: I liked Morrow's Godhead Trilogy (in which Morrow kills God and then puts him on trial) and I'm always willing to take a chance with his books.

June 2006


The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch: I've come across Lynch before at a couple of forums and I've read excerpts of his work so I know this will be good. (Check out Jay's positive advanced review here.)

August 2006



Three Days to Never by Tim Powers: After drooling over Declare, I figured any Powers is good Powers.

And that's just those books with covers for starters. Ah well, let's just hope these books show up on these shores.

No comments: