Thursday, March 16, 2006

Three Eerie Sirens

I've been catching a song by Imogen Heap on the radio and frankly, I'm enchanted.

Some of you people may know her as the lead vocals of Frou frou-- well, that's how I first heard about her-- but it seems like she's been around far longer, having first fronted for Eric Clapton and The Who in a 1996 concert. Her sound is supposedly a combination of classical, pop and electronica into "an accessible but beguiling sound" but really, it's all greek to me.

*zones out to her voice*

She also blogs!

Actually, her sound and voice reminds me of Poe, a.k.a. Anne Danielewski, though angry and hard-edged. Not much I know about this singer except that she's the sister of author Mark Danielewski, creator of the cult classic House of Leaves, and she creates haunting yet kick-ass songs like "Trigger-happy Jack," "Angry Johnny," and "Hey Pretty."

As a measure of how cool she is, she also reads Haruki Murakami. (Unfortunately, like Imogen, her albums aren't available locally yet so I'm stuck to downloading from the 'net.)

A third voice that comes to mind when I think of the first two singers is Beth Gibbons of Portishead.

I'm sure I don't have to say anything about her voice, right? *hums "Give me a reason/to love you...* Hopefully, am not the only who still remembers the Levi's jeans ads that had that song "Glory Box" as its soundtrack.

Just saying, is all...

No comments: