Monday, June 26, 2006

Ex Libris: In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream


SF author Richard Paul Russo is a bit of a conundrum for me. I didn't like the first book I've read of his, Carlucci's Edge, because I thought it couldn't decide whether it was noir or cyberpunk, i.e. being too noirish to be cyberpunk and too cyberpunk to be noirish for its own good.

However, when I saw his next book, Ship of Fools-- about a generational ship encountering a mystery-- I just couldn't resist. After all, I'm always up for a little genre-sliding. The fact that it won a Philip K. Dick award in 2001 also counted in its favor.

We had not made landfall in more than fourteen years. One disastrous choice of a star after another. The captain viewed this string of failures as absurdly bad luck; the bishop, as divine intervention. Either way, I saw it as prelude to the captain’s downfall, which would almost certainly mean my own downfall as well.

With this opening line, Russo begins a tale involving a wandering generational starship looking for a planet to colonize. Unfortunately, after a number of failures, foment is brewing between the leaders-- alcoholic Captain Nikos Costas and power-hungry Bishop Soldano-- and their factions, as well as the much-abused undercaste crew of the ship. But at last the ship has found a possible planet-- except that like something out of the mystery of the Roanake colony, the colonizers discover the planet's previous inhabitants have all disappeared. And then they find out where the bodies are buried...

Soon enough, they encounter a signal in far-off space where they find a floating derelict bigger than their starship. Ecstatic at the first contact with a possible alien race, they try to tow the wreck back to civilized stars but soon find themselves grappling with an evil that would dwarf anything human minds can produce.

All in all, Russo has managed to spin an enthralling, spine-chilling story that combines science-fiction and horror effectively. In fact, this book reminded me of the movie Event Horizon and even the trailblazing Alien: the claustrophic narrative; characters acting like chittering rats in a dark, crowded hole; the overwhelming blackness of space; and a Lovecraftian evil that declares that yes, the Universe is inimical to humans.The fact that Russo's main protagonist, the deformed Bartolomeo, uses a noirish tone of voice adds another flavor of darkness to the story.

Like the movie Event Horizon, Russo's tale is excellent in idea and excellent in execution-- but unfortunately a bit lacking in climax. However, Russo has raised the bar so high such that when the reader comes to the last page, one can only forgive him for barely not reaching it (or not at all, depending on your mileage). Likewise, Russo raises a number of questions, including whether or not one has to believe in a god to believe in evil-- and whether 'evil' is just another name for 'alien'. In this, I think, Russo succeeded quite well.

For myself, the book shows that there is still Mystery and Evil outside the boundaries of our Earth-- and beyond the ken of men.

16 comments:

Don said...

wahh. seems like a good book, where can I get a copy? Fully Booked? (please god, no)

banzai cat said...

Heh. Unfortunately, I don't think there's one available around (or if there is, at Fully-Booked). Will keep an eye out for you, yes? :-)

Don said...

Thanks po. BTW kuya, do you have an entry at the Gaiman contest at Fully Booked?

Grabe, it was my first time kahapon to visit Fully Booked. I got nausea because of the number of books (and their prices)

I bought Phil Spec Fic vol. 1 and Dave Hontiveros' Parman, I was supposed to but the entire series but the only had Parman. Wala din silang Salamanca :(

They didn't have Cryptonomicon either.

banzai cat said...

Hehe no problem. As for the Gaiman contest, yep. Wala lang, just try, right?

Hay nako, inggit ako sa yo. I know what you mean about visiting FB the first time, though ako nalula. Di ko pa nakita yung price tags yet e. ;-)

I think Hontiveros' series is available in other bookshops, like NBS or Powerbooks, but you can always try other branches ng FB. (Rockwell, Greenhills, Cubao and new sa Mall of Asia).

I think ata they're selling Cryptonomicon broken up into several books (by the publisher). Cheaper but longer nga lang. Did you try looking up sa fiction section "Neal Stephenson"?

Don said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Don said...

yeah, definitely. They have books from the Baroque Cycle but me thinks naah...too expensive. Maybe later this year.

Hey kuya, you scared me shitless with your story at PSF1! Hanep ang galeng!!!!!

Are you going to submit another entry for the next volume?

banzai cat said...

Aha! Exacto! Speaking of the devil (Neal Stephenson), I just saw a copy of Cryptonomicon TPB in Books for Less in Starmall on Shaw (they're on the 2nd floor, near the food area). I know it's a big copy but since they're discounted, the book might cost around 400-500 bucks instead. (Or even less.)

As for my story, hehe. Thanks for the kind words. Blame it on driving to Rizal on moonless nights. ;-)

Will try to submit also to Dean's next volume though I have a feeling that I'll be cramming at the last minute again (kahit September pa deadline). *sigh*

You should try also. :-)

Don said...

HUWAAT??? The only place in Manila I know how to go to is Cubao. Hehe.

Yeah, I'm already thinking of some concepts for my story. Can you be my consultant? Haha. I'm not that confident on my grammar eh. And baka the story that I'll be submitting won't be on the lines of SF.

banzai cat said...

Hahaha! Malapit lang yan! (Relatively anyway.) Shaw is the intersection near SM Megamall, Shangrila Mall and Edsa Central. Though sige, have you tried all the Booksale branches in Cubao? Also the bookstore tiangge at the Marikina Shoe Expo (also in Cubao)?

As for your story, have no problem with that. :) The thing with grammar is that that can be corrected by a good editor. But only you can write a good story.

So it's not SF, what is it? Fantasy or mainstream?

Don said...

I'll bug my cousins to take me there. Haha.

I really dunno. It's leaning more on fantasy but I want to infuse it with magical realism-ish style.

Don said...

Here's a sample of my short story, it's not SF byt, it's the kind of thing I want to write about.

http://derfuhrer04.livejournal.com/21723.html#cutid1

banzai cat said...

Heh. Take it easy then. Let the story write itself out first and then edit or correct it as you see fit. Damn sight easier for me anyway.

I already read your story. Can I comment there? I promise to be objective. :-)

Don said...

yeah sure

banzai cat said...

Hehe done. And I was nice hopefully...

Don said...

i thought you were too nice. heheh. thanks

and yeah, lately ko lang na-realize, you're gonna be published in Vin Simbulan's dragon antho. Congrats!

banzai cat said...

Me, nice? Heaven forbid!

I actually try to be objective about writing though I suppose the proper term is "constructive criticism". If it's bad, I won't mind taking the time and effort to rip you a new asshole. But that doesn't mean I won't cite the good side of your writing also. ;-)