Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Passage of Dragons

Some bad news...

I just heard last Monday that speculative fiction writer-poet John M. Ford has died mysteriously.

I first found a copy of his seminal work The Dragon Waiting (a story that had vampires, sorcerers, and a heroic Richard III warring to save England) during a time when the local bookstore scene was a virtual wasteland. So in essence, Ford not only made an impact on me with his BC-type story but also engendered in me my first "fix" in hunting for that rare book on dusty shelves.

Funny enough, he used to comment a bit in Making Light and all of his comments were quite funny and erudite.

Ford's passing also reminded me that horror writer-editor Charles L. Grant had passed on. Unfortunately, I love a number of the concepts in Grant's novels (one which involved an updated Riders of the Apocalypse another that had detectives of the weird) but could never really get into them, alas. At least his short stories seem to appeal to me more.

*sigh*

You know you're getting old when the authors you read start dying on you.

Update: Noted critic John Clute writes about the passing of John M. Ford.

7 comments:

Don said...

CONGRATSS!!! Hehe. Can't wait to read your story on PSF II!

skinnyblackcladdink said...

"you know you're getting old..."

well, what if the writers you read were dead before you were born?

banzai cat said...

fuhrer: Thanks man! Ya shoulda also submitted! :-)

skinny: Heh that goes without saying.

Don said...

naah..my story sucked so I didn't submit it..hehe.

banzai cat said...

Well, you'd never know unless you submit it. I coulda been sucky for you but really good for us. :-)

Anonymous said...

You know you're getting old when the authors you read start dying on you. --> *shudders*

banzai cat said...

Heh okay maybe I should specify that as the 'living' authors...