Friday, April 04, 2008

Why We Like What We Like (Like Horror Movies)

I was pleasantly surprised that one of my favorite directors, Neil Marshall, has a new movie out: Doomsday. Despite the mixed reviews I've read about this movie, I'm all-out for watching this flick coming after Marshall's last two movies, Dog Soldiers and The Descent. (And you know how wow-ed I was about these two.)

It makes me think that for certain artists-- whether directors, writers, etc.-- because of what they do, they will always remain high on a favored list even if they stumble and fall with a particular work. But I've no idea why. Maybe it's a similarity of viewpoints between the writer and the reader, or the director and the watcher-- wherein the work resonates between the two.

In any case, what's not to like with this one? You have all the references to sci-fi/horror movies like Escape from New York, Mad Max, 28 Days Later, etc. as well as calling on memories of those screamer/gore flicks one gets to watch on late night cable. The question remains whether I can catch at this at the cinema. As far as I know, it's already come and gone.

Ah well... at least I'll have posters!


No comments: