Monday, December 21, 2009

New Monsters for Old


Talking about the relatively new 'monster' of the Broadway Centrum slasher reminded me of an earlier idea I had somewhat similar to Neil Gaiman's first novel, American Gods.*

In that concept of the old-versus-new, I wondered if there were any new monsters to begin with being bred in Metro Manila, a city that combines the best of two worlds: 21st century technology and provincial superstition.

At the top of my head, I remembered the urban legend slasher. I also remembered another urban legend, the half-human/half-snake beast living at the bowels of a well-known mall.

In that particular legend, the monster is supposedly the male twin of the mall magnate's daughter. Rather than kill the child, they let it run loose through the secret tunnels and passageways of their giant mall.

The child later grew up to be an adult by feeding on people--specifically women-- in the mall. How did/does he do it? Supposedly the changing rooms of the mall have drop hatches which dumps the women changing in these rooms straight into the monster's lair.

Which brings me to my next question: we all have old monsters in our country's history-- but are there any new monsters being bred today? (Politicians, serial killers and the like not counted, please.)

*On a separate note, here's an interesting idea...

No comments: