Friday, February 20, 2004

Summon me and know sorrow


And what was I reading the whole night?

'Twas Stormwarden by Janny Wurts, the first book of the Cycle of Fire.

Here's the back copy:

"Written in the records at Vaere is the tale of the binding of the Mharg-demons by Anskiere, wizard of wind and wave. Anskiere was aided in this task by Ivain, master of fire and earth, for the skills of a single sorcerer were not enough against so formidable a foe.

It is further recorded that at the moment of greatest peril, Ivain betrayed his companion out of jealousy. Nonetheless the demons were defeated, the wards sealed, and Anskiere survived to swear a powerful oath against his betrayer. So potent was the magic in the words spoken by Anskiere that sailors who have visited the site claim the winds there repeat them to this day:

'Your offence against me is pardoned but not forgotten. This geas I lay upon you; should I call, you, Ivain, shall answer, and complete a deed of my choice, even to the end of your days. And should you die, my will shall pass to your eldest son, and to his son's sons after him, until the debt is paid...' "

Wurts actually mixes light doses of science-fiction with fantasy in this trilogy of books, which turned me off when I first read the second book Keeper of the Keys. However, I relented after I discovered-- and enjoyed-- her other books, which were straight-and-straight fantasy.

Besides, I found this one at the bargain shelves of Booksale. At less than a hundred bucks, I'm not complaining...

(And I finished it, too.)



No comments: