Monday, March 01, 2004

The Year of the Small Press


Hmmm, seems like the year 2004 is going to be the year of the small press for me.

I made this conclusion after I picked up The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases
by Jeff Vandermeer (Editor), Tim Lebbon (Editor), Alan Moore (Editor), Neil Gaiman, China Mieville, Michael Moorcock, Kage Baker, Mark Roberts, Stepan Chapman
(whew!) from Booktopia last Saturday.

This book was published by Nightshade Books, a small press publishing outfit that specializes in "a broad spectrum of genres... which inspires a sense of awe and wonder... that explores the fantastic." Actually, Ministry of Whimsy-- another small press publisher I mentioned in an earlier post-- is an imprint of Nightshade Books though it looks more like a partnership than anything.

I'm really starting to like Booktopia. I've found they have a lot of stuff that you can't find in other bookstores, including Fully-Booked and Powerbooks. Some of them, as I've mentioned, include small press stuff, collected works and anthologies. Cheaper-priced too, lower than Powerbooks (where else can you get hardbound books for 700 bucks?). And friendly as well. I found out about their recent shipment of new books last Friday courtesy of a text from them urging me to drop by for a visit. How's that for service?

(Hey Ayn! You should check them out as they just recently got a large collection of HP Lovecraft books. They're located near Eastwood Libis.)


No comments: