Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Intersection of Two Worlds

Came in early to work today because I had to bring my Mom's car for a mileage check.

Since it was early, I decided to go to the Starbucks in Intramuros (which was near my office) for my morning fix of coffee.*

As I was enjoying a smoke with my coffee outside, I couldn't help but overhear two Americans and their Filipina lady-friend (no, not that kind of lady-friend) talking at a nearby table.

I was faintly amused when I heard them essay why the local military is corrupt vis-a-vis the near-perfection of the US system of government. That was why I also pegged the two Americans as expatriates for their more-than passing knowledge of local news.

I've always been intrigued by this breed of travelers. I mean, what can make a person leave hearth, home and everything familiar for stranger shores? And from a First World country to a Third World country at that?

I remember when I went on vacation to Boracay with [identity-protected] a couple of months ago. While there, Eve, a friend of ours transplanted from the metropolis and now living a life as a beach bum, introduced us to her friends who were 1st generation offsprings of expatriates and the local women.

And I as mentioned before, the parent-expatriates of these kids had come to Boracay when the area still had no electricity and no running water to make it their home. But they stayed and they helped make Boracay one of the premiere vacations spots in the world.

I suppose it takes a lot of sacrifice to straddle two different kinds of worlds. Ditto the effort it takes to stay: a stranger in a strange land. Kinda like reading fantasy and science-fiction, no?**

An interesting thought.

Anyway, wala lang.

------

*I have to be honest: I also had an ulterior motive in getting it there.

Yes, I've become a Starbucks whore for a chance to nick the Starbucks 2005 planner.

Seriously though, I was quite impressed by the look of the planner. It reminded me of Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine series of books.

Unfortunately, I have to down 21 kinds of coffee before the January 15 deadline and I'm only two cups in. Ah well, but I digress...

**I know the ending was a stretch but I've always had problems closing.

On that note, I should be coming up with a review of my Best Read for 2004: Tim Power's Declare anytime soon. Thank God, I finally finished a damn book before the year ended.

No comments: