Friday, May 20, 2005

A Few Things About the Banzai Cat

Okay, I knew this whole internet-anonymity had its disadvantages when I started out. But I like my privacy.

So when some confusion cropped up about who and what I am, I figured that it's high-time to clarify some things, especially for those who are just dropping by now:

One, Cockatoo - Banzai Cat is obviously a nom de guerre, an online nickname. Wala lang, I had a shirt with a Japanese-samurai cat shouting 'Banzai!' and I thought it was cute to use as a pseudonym. However, as Dean and Jonas found out later, I am genetically and biologically male. (I can hear some of the guys who visit here saying, "Aw, shucks!")

My girlfriend, [Identity-protected], said any wrong assumption on my gender is because I sometimes come across as too sensitive. Maybe I should start swearing every now and then.

Anyway, just so everyone knows.

Two, Cockatoo - I like reading a lot. I like reading speculative fiction. Combine that and you get a library of unread books numbering more than 400. Seriously, because I like to read-- I'd say science-fiction and fantasy but it's more than about rocket ships and dragons-- speculative fiction, that translates to my writing. (Of course I also read non-speculative fiction and non-fiction but that goes without saying.)

So: my blog is about books that I'm reading (and would like to read), and writing stories that percolate in my head. Stories that are weird, funny, scary, and-- hopefully-- literate. One thing I promise you won't find in my stories are about quotidian lives, unremarkable lives. Because I like to see "the strange in the normal and the normal in the strange", to paraphrase one of my favorite writers, Kelly Link.

At the same time, I do reviews of books that probably a lot of people haven't heard of because they think that science fiction and fantasy are for kids only. Or it's only about Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Harry Potter.

Of course, I would like to recommend intelligent books and not mindless fluff like The Da Vinci Code.

Three, Cockatoo - And in connection, above, I admit that I may come off as "elite and snobbish" in my blog as Bing noted. Mind, I'm not offended-- I'm actually more aghast that it comes out like that. However, thinking about it, I guess that I can't help giving off that impression.

The first time I started blogging (thanks to two people), I really had no idea about what to write. Isn't that funny? I wanted to be a writer so I figured blogging would help me get into the discipline of writing. But when it came down to the day-to-day blog, I had no idea what to say.

I didn't want to get into a daily what-happened-in-my-day log as I didn't want to bore myself, much more anyone who would discover my blog. Besides, my real life is much less interesting, trust me on that. Likewise, I really, really, really didn't want to come out angsty and whining on this space. I don't like angsty, whining people and I'm sure you people don't like 'em too. So why do that here, right?

So, I figured I write what I know-- hopefully, with a little intelligence. Which is: (a) books, (b) speculative fiction, (c) and writing. And hopefully generate a little debate on the side to assuage my argumentative soul.

Four, Cockatoo - Tangently, I read something over at Gelay (Gelay! What happened to your blog!?!) about this guy who was haranguing English blogs maintained by Filipinos.

To quote, he said, Para sa mga 'bloggers' na pinoy: Sinusuportahan ko kayo dahil sa galing at husay nyo, PERO bakit puro 'ENGLES' ang ginagamit nyong salita. (Translated roughly: "For the Pinoy bloggers, I laud you for your great use and ability but why do you people use only the English language?") Obviously, as evidenced by the comments generated by Gelay's post (and Gelay's opinion herself), a number of people thought the guy was blowing hot air.

Personally, the guy reminded me of some tibaks (student-activists) I encountered while I was at the state university: a lot of rhetoric but sometimes lacking in practicality and logic. However, as Gelay states, whether or not the guy was right was besides the point: it's all about context.

I can speak the vernacular. But I prefer to write in English. It's not about nationalism nor about popularity, it's about my comfort level in expressing my thoughts. I remember one time a classmate in high school told me that I think in English, hence my hesitancy to write in Filipino. But I digress.

You see, I believe it's all about expression.

To digress again, I'm sure you've heard of stories about people who were left-handed but were forced to become right-handed. Or you people experienced this yourself. So: would you force yourself to use your own language-- not because it was the way to communicate-- but because of quite misplaced patriotism? I don't think so.

I like talking to all kinds of people of different economic classes, whether their strength lies in the English or Filipino language. And I can handle my own end of the conversation, too. But anyone who tells me I'm wrong to use the English language because of some nationalism-centric idea can shove it up their ass, if you pardon my French.

Besides, and here's a point he missed, not everyone on the internet is Filipino. So why shut the whole world out of our own?

....

Anyway, I think I'm running out of steam so I better get some lunch first.

Christ, it's five o'clock already?

No comments: