Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Law of the Few

Interesting book this, The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.

I know, I know... reading a popular book because everyone's reading it (and late at that too!). Still, I'm a few chapters in-- specifically with the reputed Law of the Few-- and it got me thinking of how the different people of that law (Connectors, Mavens and Salesmen) could be applied to speculative fiction, the internet, and online journals. After all, a lot of thought and efforts have been applied to trying to spread speculative fiction like a virus.

Anyway, bear with me on this, alright?

With regard to connectors, that would be easy: Tor books editors Patrick and Teresa Nielsen-Hayden would be two, what with the number of people who visit their site. I also thought of writer Neil Gaiman, whose recommendation can cause a dent on the internet registers.

With regard to mavens, this was slightly harder: who are people who collect information? My first thought was the critics. For example, there's the subversive Gabe Chouinard, who always raises the flag of good speculative literature. Likewise, there's Matt Cheney, with his well-thought posts on literature and genre. There is also the critic John Clute with his biting criticism and eloquent recommendations in his review columns at Science Fiction Weekly.

For the last category, this was the hardest of them all. Who are the salesmen of speculative fiction? Maybe writer Jeff Vandermeer, whose works and recommendations are always well-received by fans and readers alike? Or... this one needs more thought.

I know some of these ideas can be mixed and matched. For example, I thought that Gabe could also be a salesman. However, his sales pitch sometimes rub some people the wrong way. Ditto with Clute with his rather deep prose. On the other hand, Gaiman would make a good salesman due to his massive fan-base.

Ah, me. The things I think of while working with a 30-minute internet limit. Blame the internet cafe I'm sitting in right now.

And speaking of recommendations, Gladwell's book came to my attention via Mark. Grazi!

Anyway, wala lang.

No comments: