Monday, July 18, 2005

What Me, Relaxed?

Because rei asked, I must needs answer.

What specifically do I do to unwind? That reminds me of a poster I once saw-- I forgot the picture-- that had the words, "I can't relax, it's the stress that keeps me together!" Most apt.

Unfortunately, I think that's why I can't fill out the required five answers for each of the questions.

What are the things you enjoy, even when no one around you wants to go out and play?

  • Reading - Of course. I collect books so obviously, I gotta read them sometime. That's why I usually have 2-4 books (with one more hidden somewhere) burning on my reading list at any given time. I read at home (when I have time), in the car (when I'm driving and stuck in traffic), in coffee shops and restaurants (when I'm by myself), at other people's houses (when it's polite). However, one place I usually don't read is in the bathroom. I don't know-- maybe it's a question of multi-tasking?
  • Driving - I admit I must be a little crazy in wanting to drive despite the incredible traffic in the metro. But I'd rather be the one in the driver's seat when going anywhere rather than sitting in the back seat and letting someone else drive. Is it control issues? Probably not. Rather like something for my hands and feet to do and akin to tapping your fingers on the table when listening to some imaginary music.
  • Walking - If it's not hot or polluted, I like to walk around and see the sights. Or even if it's just going from one place to another. The mere mobility and motion in the face of traffic and despite the crowds is an empowering thing. As someone once said, I walk through crowds like I was racing at a Grand Prix. (That, or maybe I'm just a cheap bastard.)

What lowers your stress/blood pressure/anxiety level?

  • Book-questing - I find going on book searches relaxing. There's actually something almost zen in scanning the book bins and book shelves of shops looking for one or two gems amidst the thousands of titles before you, like you're balanced between the knife-edge of hope and pragmatism. Of course, in the balance you find your tranquility.
  • Cleaning my stuff - Whether it's my room or my car or my bookshelves or even my desktop computer at home/work, there's a definite anxiety-release button pressed when I clear stuff that's accumulated over the past few months. Call it catharsis in response to all the things you have to do but don't have time to do it.
  • Smoking - Okay, I know this won't sit nicely with some people. But I can't help it. Whether it's taking a break from work or on long drives or even before/after a meal, I take a stick of yosi and light up. Sometimes I just want to think, sometimes it's just to get my breath back. One thing I can't do without though when I smoke is having something tasty to drink, whether it's coffee, soft-drinks or juice. Ironically, I don't like the taste of cigarettes.

Ehrm, I can't think of anything else.

For tagging purposes, I elect: Dean, who juggle roles (writer, businessman, husband, father) like a man enraptured with Life-- or maybe he is; JP, who seems more like a cat than me in terms of being laidback; gelay, who bounces around blogs and does e-zines in her spare time; jenn see, who trawls the sea for interesting fishes for your benefit; Dodo, who was last seen blade-running in Shanghai; and...

... you, who might be interested to answer.

Life is waiting.

No comments: