Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Love and Friendship

Was reading Luna's post about her problems with having male-friends and was sorely reminded of that conversation in the movie, When Harry met Sally.

Remember that? When Harry (Billy Crystal) was lecturing Sally (Meg Ryan) about how men can't be friends with women? (Taken from here.)

Sally: How do you know?

Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.

Sally: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?

Harry: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.

Sally: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?

Harry: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.

Personally, when I was younger (a long, long time ago!), I thought the same thing except that instead of SEX, I thought it was LOVE that was a problem. Of course now that I'm older (and hopefully wiser), I know it's a lot more complicated than that.

But I suppose that's the usual problem for male-female friendship-- until they get around to introducing their significant others and they can freely admit they can get along with each other.

As one beerkada comic strip by Lyndon Gregorio aptly puts it:


To translate--

Cell phone rings:

Andrea (Glen's girlfriend): Hello Teddy Bear? Chomp chomp chomp! I can't wait to bite you after school! Hee hee hee.

Boopey (Glen's female friend): Andrea? Is this you?

Andrea: WHAT? WHO'S THIS PROSTITUTE? WHY IS GLEN'S PHONE WITH YOU? I KEEL YOU! GLEN IS MINE!

Boopey: This is Boopey. This is my phone.

Andrea: Ate Boopey? Ooops. Sorry, I pressed the wrong number. Tee hee. How are you and Kuya Glen?

Mind, a lot of the gut humor is lost in translation. The declaration, Sinong pok-pok ito?, comes off more effective than "Who's this prostitute?"

*Sigh*

No comments: