Monday, November 21, 2005

Nothing here, Folks, Move Along...

Okay, some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: I don't think I'll be continuing with the NaNoWriMo as I'm still stuck at 3k words and I don't have time to do the writing. Honestly, November has had more ups and downs than a yo-yo, what with running out of money, going on a short vacation, etc. And this is not counting the end of the month's circus.

Moreover, I'm getting slightly bit worried about the submission deadline for Vin Simbulan and his Philippine Dragons anthology next year. I know he's open for two submissions, which raises the chances of getting accepted. But considering I have no stories ready yet, well.... Fortunately, I have two ideas already knocking around my head: one is Johnny Tatô and The Dragon of Pasig while the other is tentatively entitled Retirement Home about aliens that look a tad bit like dragons.

The good thing at least with my NaNoWriMo is that I have finally found a novel I really want to write-- which, given its 26 chapter-division, will be quite fun to do. At least now I won't have to worry about trying to fit everything in a 50,000 word limit. (Or should I? Hmmm...)

The good news: I've been on an epic fantasy series spree such that my brain has turned into mush. Okay, maybe not all of it but as of the present, I've trailblazed through Robert Jordan's latest Wheel of Time, Knife of Dreams, and Steven Erikson's last Malazan Book of the Fallen output, Midnight Tides. I'm also just starting George R.R. Martin long-awaited A Song of Ice and Fire book, A Feast for Crows, while keeping Greg Keyes' The Charnel Prince, the 2nd book of The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, on deck. Whew! Talk about guerilla reading (as opposed to guerilla writing).

(Props to Robert of Booktopia though. The guy went to Singapore and while there, bought a number of GRRM's book, one which he reserved for me. To quote in a perfect Simpsons-Burns voice: Excellent.)

Funny enough, what I read actually affects my writing. If I'm reading medieval/epic stories, my imagination tends to go into high-gear coming up with new ideas in the urban/speculative field. If I do urban/speculative, it veers into medieval/epic. Weird.

Anyway, good luck to all those still doing the NaNoWriMo as I'll be cheering you people from the sidelines. At the very least, I know I'll have enough time now to blogsurf and basically act like the unwanted guest on your comment boards.

Up next: more book reviews!

Wala lang.

No comments: