Monday, June 05, 2006

Ask and Ye Shall Receive (Download When You Can't)

Well, I was quite gratified to receive all those music suggestions to try out in a previous post. However, I do apologize if I didn't give any clue to my musical taste. Unfortunately, even I have a hard time describing what I like, going for the words "eclectic" and "catholic" rather than even trying.

As of last count, I've downloaded several albums worth of music on my hard drive ever since I got the Torrent. However, I had to rack my brain for these and was only able to come up with a double handful because they're currently not available on the local market.

To wit, here's a sample:

  1. Imogen Heap: I've noticed that some of you suggested this one and I'm way ahead of you guys, having been a fan of hers even with her band Frou Frou.
  2. Interpol: I found their one song, Evil, real dark (in a good way) and I'm hoping to groove to their other songs.
  3. Marty Casey and the Flyhammers: Hey, don't blame me. I couldn't help but watch Rockstar INXS and thought his own song contribution to the contest was pretty great.
  4. Hard-Fi: Another band whose one song I heard on the radio I thought was catchy. (See a pattern here?)
  5. The Dresden Dolls: With a song called Coin-operated Boy, what's not to like about this band? Might as well try 'em out, right?
  6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: I heard this one song of theirs while hanging out in 77 Cafe in Kamuning and was wow-ed by it. Hopefully, it's in the batch I downloaded from the 'net.
  7. Regina Spektor: A lot of people I've read on the 'net highly recommend this singer and of the couple of songs I've heard, they may be right.
  8. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: I never had a chance to get this one album of theirs The Murder Ballads when I first heard the single Where the Wild Roses Grow. I'm hoping that my first foray into Nick Cave territory will be justified.
  9. The Caesars: Blame it on the i-Pod ad. Damn catchy song.

I'm also downloading this album that includes the song used by the thief Night Fox in the movie Ocean's Twelve called Thé à la Menthe by NikkFurie. However, it looks like the album has a lot of good songs in it so I'm hyped.

So once more, thanks people for the suggestions and keep 'em coming. If there's that one album you want to spread the word about, I'm all ears.


4 comments:

Andrew said...

The title of this entry just cracked me up big-time.

If you like Interpol (and I do), you can go back to some of the bands that would be their precursors: not just Joy Division but also Echo and the Bunnymen, the Chameleons, the early albums of the Sound (you'll have to use the album titles to do your search since "the Sound" would be a pretty lousy search string!), etc.

Also, some contemporary bands which I'd place on the "darker edge" of the postpunk revival would include Editors, British Sea Power, She Wants Revenge, and I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are quite good, especially if you trace their "development" from the really noisy early stuff to the more streamlined but still fractured recent work. Still, it might not be all to your liking: same with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds actually.

I could write more, but...I'll save you the barrage.

Anonymous said...

Eh ... you've changed the decor and moved the chairs about ... I thought I'd stumbled into somebody else's blog for a minute.
Nice call on the Nick Cave idea - but try to get hold of Let Love In ... one of the best albums of his, I reckon (but I'm biaised)

dodo dayao said...

Can't lose with Cave - - -The Boatman's Call, the double whammy of Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues,the aforementioned Let Love In and even Nocturama. His novel ain't bad either.

And yeah, Yeah Yeah Yeahs - - -would that song be Maps (" . . .they don't love you like I love you . . .") ? If it is, then try looking for Ted Leo's cover of the Kelly Clarkson song Since You've been Gone. You'll know why when you hear it. :)

banzai cat said...

andrew: Heh. It's funny you mentioned those bands since one or two Interpol songs did actually remind me of the New Wave era. Talk about a blast of from the past. Still, was listening to 'em and they're not bad though I think I have to have the right attitude, like driving in a dark mood. ;-)

Haven't gotten around to listening to Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Nick Cave yet but I've been sick.

luke: Is that you luke? ;-)

Yep, been re-decorating but I think things have settled a bit.

Will try that Nick Cave album once I'm done with the Murder Ballads.

dodo: Ditto on Nick Cave again. ;-)

As for Yeah Yeah Yeahs, it could be that one. However, I don't have that song so will try downloading it. Thanks! :-)