Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Writing Is About Risk (So is Slitting Your Wrists)

I have no idea why I titled the post like that. I just liked the sound of it. That and riffing on this quote. In any case, this post has nothing to tie itself together... except maybe your veins after slitting your wrist. Writing (and blogging), after all, is hard work.

From writer Charles Coleman Finlay, here's a great letter from one of my favorite storytellers, Kelly Link, written for an online workshop:

Take risks...Take chances. Write stories whose characters and the endings surprise even you. After you've written them, go back over them and make them even more surprising. And don't think by "ambitious" I mean that the prose style has to be eccentric(although it certainly can be). And read widely -- not just the new stuff, and each other's work, but older work, too. I've been reading through the collection PLATINUM POHL, and there are fantastic and alarming and wonderful short stories in there. Are there some inside you?

This in turn led me to think about something in our review-man from Japan Jay Tomio's post about branding and books (which is a pretty good look at how we label our reading), where he mentions:

When I ponder Magic Realism, the request I have is to ask folks to name me some awful examples of Magic Realism... Apparently there are no novels termed Magic Realism or Slipstream (which I have to admit I generally love) that are considered absolutely awful... Does this sub-genre lack a gutter? Are magic realists automatically leveled-up to at least average/passable writers? I follow SF/F pretty closely and not just my own opinion, but general opinion as well and while I can easily name a 100 awful epic fantasy novels (that are generally considered such), I can’t name a dozen efforts (being wary of percentages) at magic realism that are considered as dire. What’s up with that?

Equally important, small press publisher Lou Anders replied to Jay's post:

I think that the reason you cannot point to an example of truly awful slipstream (though if you had a slush pile, I guarantee you that you could), is similar to the reason it is difficult to point to a truly awful story in McSweeney’s or Tin House. When one writes for the mainstream you lose the defined boundary area of like works in which to compare and contrast “in the tradition” and everything becomes that much more subjective. When one is writing with sincereity and competence about the mundanities of everyday existance, the danger may not be that the story will be truly awful, but that it may be bland.

Interesting, no? And thus endeth my turn to blog without really blogging (or my way of putting up links)...

9 comments:

markmomukhamo said...

funny...earlier today I was looking for Coupland's JPod. I couldn't find anywhere which is strange since it was released just a few days ago.

I asked the lady who was in charge of the Sorting and Classification of Books and she asked me whether it's fiction or non-fiction. It stopped me for a sec since I know Coupland writes fiction but I've read that in JPod he actually uses his name as the character.

To make a long story short (too late)...she couldn't find it in their store. Maybe they couldn't figure out what to make of it.

Writing: Unleash It and Let Them Sort it Out. ;)

Don said...

KUYA I NEED HELP!!!!!

I need a list of good/awesome Spec. Fic. books/writers.

I'm tired na sa mga binabasa kong books eh.

And sana yung madaling makita. I found a book, A Canticle for Leibowitz and it costs Php1000+!!!! I'm only a student and my allowance barely covers that!!!

banzai cat said...

mark: Ohoho! I have to steal your last line and make it into a post title! ;-)

As for Coupland, hmmm, that book's been available here-- which is ironic, isn't it? (Whether it's fic or non-fic, mebbe it's fic but he's using a metafictional approach? I know Stephen King did the same in his last Dark Tower book.)

der fuhrer: Wow! A thousand bucks for Leibowitz? Geez, someone's trying to pull a fast one.

Hmmm... normally before I can recommend, I have to know their reading tastes in spec fic. What were the last five books you read anyway?

Likewise, bBased on your last comment about Heinlein, I presume you're reading classic SF? You could try Asimov though personally, I've never been impressed with him. How about Philip K. Dick or Robert Silverberg? Or try the collaborations of Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, those are good.

Also, if you want, you can try looking for titles in this list:

http://www.sfsite.com/lists/orion01.htm

http://www.sfsite.com/lists/orion05.htm

I'm sure you can find 2nd-hand editions of the books (not Masterworks though) cited above. I know I've seen copies of Ken Grimwood's Replay (Ace edition) here and there...

Don said...

yeah, I've been reading stuff like that. I've read Philip K. Dick and I'm still searching for his books, the only book of his that I've read was Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said.

I've read the first book on the Foundation series and I have The Naked Sun.

Is Gaiman SF? I really like how he twists age old myths into his works.

How about modern authors?

Anonymous said...

how sad. i dont read books lately. but i'll be dealing with textbooks na. hahahaha.

and i dont want a new cellphone, gusto ko ng bagong mp3 player!!! hahaha :P

banzai cat said...

der fuhrer: Well, Gaiman is really fantasy though as you said, it's the way he twists old tropes and ideas into fresh stories. You can try looking for his short story collections, those are good.

As for modern authors, are you looking for anything specific? For example, in SF there's hard SF (David Brin and Stephen Baxter) or SF space opera (Iain M. Banks and Peter Hamilton) or cyberpunk (William Gibson and Bruce Sterling). In fantasy, there's epic (George R.R. Martin and Steven Erikson), heroic (David Gemmell and Michael Moorcock), or weird stuff (China Mieville or M. John Harrison).

Whew. Lot of stuff out there though am not sure if these would be available 2nd-hand.

banzai cat said...

stg: *sigh* You and me both. Those mp3 players cost a lot, dammit.

Don said...

I saw a copy of George R. R. Martins's books in NBS so I might buy one next...um, month? week?

I'm already reading Iain M. Banks's The Player of Games but man, The Algebraist costs 600+!

Thanks for the stuff..

banzai cat said...

Hehe lucky you. There are a lot of Martin's books out now and I'll predict it's going to be a great read diving into the first one for you. (Of course once you hit the last one-- the fourth?-- you'll be in the same boat as the rest of us mortals waiting for the next episode.)

As for The Algebraist, what?!? Is that the TPB or the hardbound? Geez, 600 bucks is a lot.