Thursday, June 22, 2006

You Set Yourself Up for That One, Buddy

I'm speechless (okay, not really).

Everyone knows I work for a news site. And though I'm not exactly the best online editor around (okay, not even second-best), at least I know when there's something wrong with a sentence.

So was I the only who found the follwing newsflash title at our rival Inq7 funny? That is, Filipina served at Queen Elizabeth’s 80th birthday lunch.

GUESS who was at the 80th birthday lunch of Queen Elizabeth II last week?
Apart from royalty and other dignitaries, a Filipina met with the British monarch for the second time. She is Lady Aurea Taguiang.
The native of Malasiqui, Pangasinan, Taguiang is the lead waitress at Mansion House, official residence of the Lord Mayor of the City of London. She served the Queen once before, when the British visited Mansion House in 1999, according to information from the British embassy in Manila.

Heh. I'm sure you thought the same thing I did.

In other news, guess who's coming out as a Penguin classic? Yep, it's Jose Rizal's book Noli me Tangere. Lovely-looking book. We're hitting the big leagues now. (From Ian)

P.S. And just in case anyone thinks I'm being biased, I saw this article today (Friday) in our website and had to do a double-take: Aliens involved in NPA operations?

The Armed Forces Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) cited reports yesterday that foreign nationals were actively involved in New People’s Army (NPA) operations in Mt. Province and elsewhere in its area of jurisdiction.

Cannibalism and extra-terrrestials, oh my!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Gives a new meaning to the old rhyme, about that dainty dish set before the king ...

markmomukhamo said...

Have to look out for that Penguin version of Noli. I don't feel eerrr at home without a copy within reach.

One of the projects I really I want to do is to have these Fil. Lit. available to anyone on the Net. I think it'll be a great resource to students. (Damn copyright laws!)

banzai cat said...

john: Heh. Though I'm running if there's an apple between the lips... ;-)

mark: Am also going to get a copy of that book, even just for posterity. I mean, Penguin? Wow.

As for Fil. Lit., I think I have a link on classic local short stories. Also try the link Project Guttenberg Philippines. (See Lokal section.)

markmomukhamo said...

oh wow it's been awhile since I've visited Gutenberg Proj. thanks for pointing that out.

I guess it's pushing it for people to put up stuff from 1910s to 1970s at least enh?

banzai cat said...

Hmmm... to 1970s? Maybe Ian Casocot or the Palanca website might be a better bet for that. (Unfortunately, I wasn't born at that time. :-D)

Don said...

baka may pun or something.

that came from Inq? sheesh.

banzai cat said...

Heh. I think they were serious.

Anonymous said...

i kinda like el fili more than noli :).. pero that penguin noli would be a worthy hunt..

banzai cat said...

Mmm, I think I prefer Noli. But then again, I thought it had a more hopeful tone than El Fili.

But yeah, it's still a good buy.
;-)