Monday, December 25, 2006

Yearender: Television

I'm all on my own at the office so I figured I put in my two cents on what I've discovered for the year 2006.

Now, a lot of people have been talking about new or on-going television series like Lost or Prison Break or House. On the other hand, I'm going old-school and I'll talk about one thing I've found fascinating this year: wrestling!

Yes, you heard it right, I'm currently watching the epitome of "entertainment", WWE, including RAW, Smackdown! and ECW. Blame it on nothing interesting on TV and, like the storied carwrecks, I can't help but watch. Also, concerning celebrities with Filipino blood, it's great to know that Batista, a.k.a. 'the Beast', is also partly Filipino. (The WWE gang also dropped by the Philippines recently.)

But one thing thing I found fascinating about the wrestling matches is the storylines. Obviously, in order to keep track of the stories, I had to learn first the ins and outs of WWE, including who are the good guys or 'face' and bad guys or 'heel'.

So, there are some new kings of the ring: for RAW, the very popular John Cena still holds the belt despite former champ Edge's attempts to wrest it from him. However, in Smackdown!, Batista managed to trounce another ex-champ, King Booker, to overthrow the latter as the top dog. A big surprise for me is the smaller Bobby Lashley taking down the Big Show to win the ECW title.

However, there were also some interesting storylines aside from the main events that could give soap operas a run for their money. These include the near destruction of D-Generation X (Shawn Michaels and Triple H) by Rated RKO (Edge and Randy Orton) and the rivalry between WWE United States champion Chris Benoit against Chavo Guerrero and his wife, Vicki (including Chavo's accusations of Benoit being a woman-beater).

There was also the time when Mr. Kennedy and MVP retreating from The Undertaker and Kane after Mr. Kennedy tried to run over a prostrate Kane with a car and found The Undertaker inside the car with him. Hilarious.

Whew! Had enough testosterone? Don't worry, that's it for now.

More Yearenders to follow!

No comments: