Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Unforgiven* Had Nothing On Us

Just a thought: Given how the JDV-House issue is in all the news right now, I'm just wondering: is it me or or are we Filipinos such a personal race?

That is, why do we take everything personally? I mean, we criticize someone's work or affiliation or principle-- and the responding person considers it as tantamount to declaring war. I suppose one can can always fall back to principles. But seeing how local politics is so dirty that evil has gradations and sub-levels, I don't see how that's possible. This also applies to other aspects of our world. Ah well...

(Blame this introspection to one of my jobs, which is moderating the feedback column of our site. Boy, those pro-GMA and pro-ABS fans are bloody-minded.)

*And to refresh your memory, I'm referring to this quote from the Clint Eastwood movie: "Any son-of-a-bitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife and all his friends and burn his damn house down. Nobody better shoot." Now that's what I call taking it personally. Hell, you might as well kill the dog also!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are a personal race. from the minute part of the society to the highest levels. what i do wonder is if it's only true with us Filipinos.

after my daughter's party, i was receiving good feedback making me happy. but after a few days a relative of hubby was crying negatives. it looked like it was prompted more by her personal insecurities and grudges. it appeared she was getting back at us. sick.

banzai cat said...

Too true Ms B. Seems like our country is made up of interpersonal links of obligations and grudges. If ever they do a movie about The Grudge on a nationwide scale, they could do one here. ;-)

Mahesh Raj Mohan said...

That's one of my favorite quotes from that film!!

Of course, I'm often told I take things too personally at times, so maybe it's an Indian (via America) thing, too, ;-)

banzai cat said...

Heh. Do you also go around carrying a six-shooter and a black cowboy hat? ;-)

(Remind me not to get you angry!)