Friday, May 28, 2010

Bibliofilia: Dover Publications

Cheap books. You can't go wrong with 'em. Which is why I really like the price tag on Dover Books when I find 'em (either here or abroad). But then again, when it says on the cover that it's a 'Thrift Edition', you gotta go with the flow, eh?

But what makes me gaga over their stuff is their category of Detective Stories, Science Fiction, Ghost Stories, and Supernatural. I mean, what's not to like there, right? Similar to the Wordsworth books, this company has been coming out with a lot of the good older stuff.

For example, I bought a Dover edition of copy of G.K. Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday: A Nightmare at Fully Booked when they still had a lot of stock then. Granted it's not as fun as the edition as this one by Penguin but still, a copy is a copy.

Likewise, during my trip to the US, I managed to pick up the Dover-edition of Edwin Abbott's Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions. And among the handful of Abbott's editions on the bookshelves, the Dover was the hands down winning price for only $2!

Definitely a good buy with these books when you see them, even with the brand new ones.

No comments: