Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quote for the Day

From Rochita Loenen-Ruiz (expatriate Filipina writer in the Netherlands who's been to the Clarion workshop) guest-blogging at Jeff Vandermeer's site, "Finding our stories":
I think then of how speculative fiction is the perfect genre for people like me who exist in the interstitial spaces. I wonder to what extent the diaspora and the experience of being in the diaspora has awakened fantasists and dreamers. I wonder how many of us read and write science fiction and fantasy because we see not only this country of the present, but also because we are still caught up in the country of our memories, even as we move towards the country that we hope to find ourselves in.
Quite serendipitous, given that I'm coming out with an SF anthology on the diaspora.

No comments: