Monday, January 03, 2011

2011 Readerly Resolutions

a. Read the following because I have so little time already before I reach 40 and I figured, might as well fill up my hours that I don't eat, sleep and work. Oh wait, I don't have any time left? Damn.
  1. Patricia Highsmith
  2. Iain Banks
  3. Jose Saramago
  4. Mario Vargas Llosa
  5. Joe Lansdale
  6. Kurt Vonnegut
... let's see, who else have I missed? I did notice that I'm verging into crime fiction a lot but that's okay as you can get a lot of atmospheric writing in this kind of fiction and I need the practice.

b. Read more of the following authors because, really, if you're going to dip into one, you might as well go whole hog. As for the number 4, I really would like to broaden my mind without bankrupting my bank account, which is already straining under the weight of empty air.
  1. John Le Carre
  2. Orhan Pamuk
  3. Haruki Murakami
  4. Books around the world
c. Read more classics. I would seriously like to read Boccacio's Decameron and Chaucer's The Pilgrim's Tale. I would also like to read more Fyodor Dostoevsky and Dante and William Shakespeare and Marcel Proust...

d. Read more, dammit, especially if I'm going to keep my book-buying pace. I know I keep saying 'there's no such thing as having too many books'. But really, my book-reading speed is for pussies nowadays.

e. Review more. It's good writing practice. And must put a little more thought into it. Yes, not like letter 'e' of this resolute list.

f. Practice killing zombies and set up zombie safehouses before the year 2012. After all, if an apocalypse is going to happen next year, why not a zombie outbreak?

(Further resolutions to be added when they come to me. Or if someone suggests a good one.)

3 comments:

Ryan said...

i've forgotten a lot of what i've read and watched. sometimes i wonder what's the point. though i do take away things that mean something to me at that point in time. but i forget even that. then i re-read at a much later time and take away something different. what does it mean? double rainbow omg double rainbow

banzai cat said...

what's the point in reading a book? same as traveling to different places and countries. in the end, nothing. but you'll always have a good experience about it. (or bad one, that's true.)

Anonymous said...

This might interest you. Sale of various genre books (sci-fi, horror, anthologies, classics) starting at 5 pesos each.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/3094077/BOOK+LIST+5pesos-Scifi,Fantasy,Horror,Classics,+Comics