Friday, December 31, 2010

December Books

Well, like I said, December turned out a splurge of books as I took advantage of gift certificates and some extra cash to go on a buying spree. And what a load of books, around 26 books for this month. You can see why my to-read pile keeps getting bigger and bigger despite my efforts.


For this pile, you can see the late Kage Baker's The Empress of Mars, Ian C. Esslemont's The Return of the Crimson Guard, Ian McDonald's The Dervish House, Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief, Rachel Pollack's hard-to-find Unquenchable Fire, Susan R. Matthews' Warring States, M.J. Enge's Wheel of the Winds, the new fairy tale anthology My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me, Peter Crowther's collection Lonesome Roads, Roberto Bolano's 2666, Eric Brown and H.G. Well's The War of the Worlds, and Blood and Guts and Zombies, Otsuichi's collection Zoo, Iain Sinclair's Slow Chocolate Autopsy (with David McKean) and China Mieville's Kraken.


For this grouping, you can see Mira Grant's Feed, M.K. Hobson's Native Star, Amanda Downum's The Drowning City, Tim Lebbon's Echo City, Aidan Tchaikovsky's Blood of the Mantis, Paul Park's The Tourmaline, James Lovegrove's The Age of Odin and Ari Marmell's Conqueror's Shadow.

At the side of the pile are my two non-fiction books: The Book of Divining the Future and The Dictionary of Superstitions. Weirdly enough, despite the fact that I can probably google the information in these books easily, I like the idea of having this information on hand (or in hand). Goes to show that between a book and Google, I'll still go with a book. Especially a cheap one.

Just a thought: the number of books for this month equals the number of books I've read for the year. So in a sense, I just replenished this year's reading list in just one month. Go figure.

2 comments:

JP said...

It's interesting how, from fairly similar fare around 5 or 6 years back our reading lists have diverged considerably over time. I get the feeling I've drifted away from genre fiction to a large extent although I still identify as a genre fan.

banzai cat said...

well, i still like genre but i really prefer speculative fiction, i.e. non-realism. (i know, i know... the terms don't matter. but you get what i mean.) that's why i don't limit myself to the scifi/fantasy section of bookstores and i love checking out the main fiction section for hidden literary gems. i've also a bad habit of reading non-western (US,UK) material. all of that i think is where our current reading lists converge. ;-)