Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Curious Cat Question

In a postscript to my earlier post about Dan Simmons and politics in writing, here's something another SF writer, Orson Scott Card, said in an interview about injecting his personal politics into his fiction:

My characters have political opinions, but they are rarely my political views... If I ever let my fiction be propaganda, then my career as a fiction writer is over.

Ironically, Card may be the best person to speak about this since his personal views against same-sex marriage (due to the fact that he's a Mormon) has drawn fire from the SFF community. However, his religious upbringing doesn't seem to impinge much on his writing though he does focus a lot on moral issues without turning it into heavy-handed preaching.

So my question is: Andrew mentioned that he doesn't like reading authors whose views may diverge from his. How about the rest of you people?

(Link from blog-meister John Scalzi)

P.S. And just in case some people missed it, I linked to an interesting essay by fantasist Jeff Vandermeer in my reply to Andrew's comments and so here it is: Politics in Fantasy.

No comments: