Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Story as a Rorschach Blot

(Still in recovery from my fever but am chafing at the rest period. In the meantime, am venting some writing steam like a train.)

So, when do you separate the story from the storymaker?

I ask this question after reading one my top fave writers, Dan Simmons, explain his reason for his controversial story in his April 2006 Message post. That "message" of his generated a minor ruckus with parts of the SFF community and political blogosphere accusing him of racism or lauding him of patriotism depending on their political stripes.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong about writers having their agenda when writing their stories. Author Terry Goodkind writes his Sword of Truth fantasy novels loaded with Ayn Randian/ right-wing political perspective. (It's his denial that his fantasy novels are in fact, non-fantasy that get him much derision). There are also others, like SF writer Orson Scott Card as well as New Weird fictionist China Miéville.

Still, I thought the argument against Simmons boiled down to-- as one commenter in this comment thread here succinctly says-- what extent should "the declaration that a work is fictional absolves the author of responsibility for the views expressed there"?

To answer, he notes in his May-June 2006 Message:
But no politics, as such, have ever been introduced into the Messages from Dan before, just as no politics, as such, have ever been central (or unambiguous) in my novels. Why start now?
One could say that whatever political message he was supposedly trying to deliver in the controversial April message was sufficiently denied there. Moreover, he lambasts those who thought that his message was too ambiguous:
Speculative fiction has an honorable and subversive history. It is not limited to Amazing Tales of technology or the adventures of supermen and its plots are not confined to the retelling of fairy tales. Speculative fiction includes... a large subset of "if this social trend continues…" cautionary tales penned by the likes of George Orwell and H.G. Wells and Aldous Huxley and John Brunner and Fred Pohl and C.M. Kornbluth and Harlan Ellison and Kurt Vonnegut and many others.
He goes on quite a bit in defending his story and basing his arguments on a number of sources. It made me realize that, for someone writing such a small snippet of a story, it's damn well researched. Which, in turn, made me think, No wonder a lot of people thought he was serious.

But then I realized-- does it matter what the writer believes in when the story is done? (Or all is said and done?) After all, Simmons stated it himself: it's a Rorschach story, i.e. what the reader sees in the story is what the reader believes in and not necessarily what the writer believes in. Which may answer the question whether or not Simmons believes in what he wrote to begin with.

The above commenter criticized Simmons for not taking responsibility for the views expressed in the story. But what if the said views wasn't Simmon's own but rather a thought he pursued to its logical conclusion? Isn't that the usual objective-- and purview-- of speculative fiction? To express ideas we normally don't?

*phew*

Oh these tangled webs we weave. I'd rather believe that a story is a story and leave it at that. Or leave it... as a word to the wise.

8 comments:

Andrew said...

You know what this is? Can of worms! Thanks a lot, now you got me all confused! *laughs*

I have to confess that I'm terribly biased when it comes to these things. I hate those writers and readers who see their work as apolitical, because I think there's something to be said about how that makes fantastic fiction relevant.

At the same time, however, my bias comes out. While I don't mind reading various authors with sociopolitical views sympathetic to mine (call me one of the converted who wants to be preached upon, if you will), it does lead me to avoid works by people I'd much rather not support.

But something still has to be said about those works which bother us in profound ways, though I'd like to think it shouldn't just be because of any latent content.

More on this when I'm feeling better.

banzai cat said...

Hehe don't worry andrew, I love a good debate anyway.

Still, I don't think that Simmons was trying to be apolitical. The fact that he wrote that story meant that he WAS trying to relay a political story BUT without trying to bludgeon us with the message.

I suppose the best way to convey this meaning is through what Jeff Vandermeer said in his essay here:

http://www.emcit.com/emcit125.php#Politics

"Incorporating such issues from a through-the-looking-glass angle also allows for the possibility of presenting a heated current political situation in a non-threatening context. This doesn't mean that the ideas aren’t still threatening, but that the remove from reality allows for possible acceptance of those ideas by readers who originally did not share in that same system of beliefs."

Obviously, it didn't work in this context because it ticked off a lot of people who read it. But then again, Jeff said this was a tricky matter:

"However, no matter what I intend, the success of that intention depends on reader reaction and interpretation. Sometimes the reader has a responsibility — and in the case of the political, that responsibility includes not screaming "didactic!" any time a writer raises important issues in his or her work."

Simmons was relating a possible warning. But obviously, no future is set in stone. And it's up to the reader to realize this, to take heart-- and at the same time, to take caution. That's what morals of the stories are for, right?

banzai cat said...

Erm, I suppose I'm being contradictory in that "does he or does not have a political message in his story?" To clarify, Simmons isn't being apolitical but he is trying to avoid having political messages in his stories. Still, that doesn't mean that he can't convey a message-- or in this case, a political caution-- in his stories. Which is the whole point of cautionary tales, right?

Hmmm... is that any clearer?

Andrew said...

If there's anyone here who's not being clear, it was me, so no worries! Besides I tend to think that we're more or less similar in our views here.

Simmons (and that April piece in particular) wasn't an example I was giving of an author being apolitical but of a work that I felt conflicts with a lot of my own views.

It's an effective piece of fiction, I think, precisely because of that. But this is where my bias comes in: I have no problem reading the thinly-veiled politics of, say, Iain M. Banks or the worldview of someone like M. John Harrison, but only because they're the same as mine. If they're preaching to the choir, I'm pretty much the choir.

Orson Scott Card's religiously-derived anti-gay stance rubs me off the wrong way, so I haven't been interested in reading his fiction, despite all the praise it's gotten. The same with Ayn Rand.

This is why I think Vandermeer makes a good point in those portions you quoted. I'd even go so far as to say that the uproar caused by the Simmons piece is part of why it was so important to read it. That whole figure from Kafka about an ice-axe to smash the frozen sea inside us is demonstrated here. In some ways, I feel bad that I don't always allow this to happen.

And when we talk about cautionary tales, it gets more interesting because morality is bigger and more complicated than politics. I'd call the latter a subset of the former.

I'm a bit weirded out that I enjoyed Declare, partly because of the way it can be read from a Catholic viewpoint, but I can't seem to muster up the desire to read C.S. Lewis.

(Also, Powers has mentioned in various interviews how he doesn't get the criticism that it's a pro-Catholic piece.)

While I'm not sure if Declare counts as a cautionary tale (my instincts say no), I still like the way Declare shows faith to be a moral burden rather than a panacea.

As a reader of horror fiction, this is why it gets my goat to see yet another evil preacher story. Still, I know people who get just as bugged when religious (Christian) faith comes in to save the day. (And sometimes, that's not always good either.)

Is, er, THIS clear? Or do I keep muddying the waters?

Roanne said...

Hi Banzai!
No connection to the post but thanks for the heed: http://isulongseoph.nmgresources.ph

btw, i'll be posting there for a while and i'm gonna leave my blog in idle mode... for 3 months! :O

Don't worry, most of it are random ramblings. just like my blog has.

Mahesh Raj Mohan said...

This story is difficult for me, especially reading it at 1 a.m. My blood ancestors (to my knowledge anyway) fought the Muslim Mughals of India tooth and nail and (again to my knowledge) never surrendered. So that story just boils the, uh, martial and hot-tempered part of me. But I think the story is, as you and Simmons say, a Rorschach blot. A big part of the story is the fear, self-interest, and honor part, and I think the story is there to rouse each feeling in turn.

I think it's kind of ludicrous to think half a BILLION Muslims would want to grind the world under its heel. So I dunno. I'll have to think more about it....

Anj said...

Hi Kuya BC! Long time ;)

This comment's not related to your entry. Gusto ko lang sabihing I like your new template. :)

Gela
http://www.derpinsel.com/weblog

banzai cat said...

andrew: So you disagree with his piece? I suppose I found his story fascinating because I don't know Simmons' own political leanings and thus, the story's alleged rightwing tendencies comes out as more cautionary rather than an exhortation to commit genocide. Better to judge the piece rather than the writer, I should say. Of course "judge" is such a harsh term but you know what I mean.

But otherwise, yeah, I think we're on the same page on the idea that stories should make us think, not decide our thinking for us. Especially since we-- as readers-- would usually favor only those writings that favor our own world-view. To mix metaphors, Kafka's axe should be an essential tool in any reader's toolbox.

(Which is also another reason to sample stuff by Goodkind or Rand or even Dan Brown or Tom Clancy in order to make up our own minds. We read stories to debate, to criticize, and to think.)

As for Declare, I must say that I I didn't get the cautionary aspect of his story. For me, it was more of an affirmative declaration that history (both small h and big H) has more shades and nuances than we would ever know. But then again, I try as much as possible not to let my Catholic upbringing get in my way of reading. (Which is why I find it strange when certain authors portray Catholic mythology as exotic. What the hell?)

roanne: Hey! I've been wading through the SEO waters at your blog. Heavy stuff for a techphobioc cat. Might take me a while to digest everything. Do you think that I could apply that to my site? But then again, I don't think my site numbers would justify such effort. I'm no Dean Alfar. ;-)

Also, do you want me to change your link?

mahesh: Hi man! Yeah, it's a story guaranteed to push buttons no matter what nationality or religion. A lot of people have also pointed out the discrepancies of Simmons' story (like the fact that Islam is not a monolithic religion with the Sunnis, etc,) though it also made me think how people would react if Simmons had made Christians the bad guys. But then, I think-- aren't there a lot of stories with Christian fundamentalists as the bad guys? So will the same effects apply?

gelay: Hey, long time no see. :-) Thanks for the kind words. Btw, was envious of your bookshop-hopping pictures. So many books! *sigh*